Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Getting chickens

Michelle has been on me to get chickens for some time. My grandparents had them here.

 I said we would when the last child went off to college. Well, that time came last fall and we converted an 8'x8' Sears tool house into a chicken house. The design was generated from various farm outbuildings I have seen and the need to incorporate a copper finial Michelle gave me some time ago.

This fall we got 8 chicks that have now grown to pullets (egg bearing age) and we are on our way to getting eggs. We have 2 Dominics, 2 Golden Comets, 1 Road Island Red, 2 Amerucanas, and 1 real cool looking hen Michelle picked out that we cannot remember what it is! We have all become fast friends and Lily, my border collie, is learning how to herd them in the hen house. We are now getting 1-3 eggs/day and should do much better as spring arrives.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, that is great news about the eggs! Yes, they should lay more as spring progresses. Our hens are filling our refrigerator to the brim with eggs right now! If they are still slow to lay, try to bump up their protein intake a bit. Eggs are rich in protein and the hens need to take in protein in order to produce it in the form of eggs. (In nature, they peck up bugs, frogs, lizards, baby snakes, worms,etc. which are rich sources of protein as well as eating seeds and greenery. Your birds look GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We got our 1st Blue egg yesterday(from the Amerucana)! I had a hawk attack take one of my Golden Comets the other day :>(
    I found the others noisy, but stone still under the boxwoods and roses.

    I looked up "How to Butcher a Chicken" on Youtube and Michelle and I had the murdered bird for supper. She wouldn't touch it, so I had to do all the prep!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really looking forward to fresh eggs!! Can't wait to see blue eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep it up and soon you may win the Pullet Surprise!

    ReplyDelete