Tuesday, February 15, 2011

House Chores



When my grandfather bought our home in 1939 the wood portions of the house were painted grey. My grandmother always had a fancy for green, but my grandfather was not ready for a change. I have pictures(3-D)of the home in 1949 showing the house still grey and others taken in the late '50's, so I know my grandmother won out somewhere between these years. This past summer the many coats of layered on paints had taken its toll on the detail the woodworkers added in the 1870's. We decided it was time to sand down to original wood on the front porch, which was quite an undertaking. We stuck with my grandmother's green. It was interesting to note that while MANY coats were added over the years, there were only the 2 colors. I was so pleased to have the detail show again. I will not have to go through this excersise in my lifetime - It will be somebody else's chore!

1 comment: