Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Apple of my eye


Our Apple trees have started to awaken! I have 22 apple trees- 10 different varieties. I prune the trees in early February, then I begin the spray process of Dormant Oil in Feb, Fruit Tree spray Pre bloom, Fire Blight Spray during bloom, and Fruit Tree spray during the growing season. I tried one year with not spraying and had a poor crop of apples! I will continue spraying until the apples form. Even though the directions tell me to do so until 2 weeks of picking, I want to feel comfortable eating the apples right off the tree. I will have some with some brown spots, but the taste is great and I can live with a few spots. I will begin getting apples in June and will continue picking from the later varieties until Thanksgiving. Apples on their own are great. Apple juice, cakes and pies are great, but my nephew has mastered making us Hard Cider and Apple Jack. Wow!

No comments:

Post a Comment