Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Oh Happy Day


One of the many treasured memories I have is the 1st time I became interested in gardening. I remember so many things about that day. It was an early summer morning when I was 7 yrs old that I followed my grandfather out into the vegetable garden. Papa was a man I always looked up to and was fortunate he spent so much time with me. He handed me a shovel and told me to dig this plant up. With no beans, tomatoes, or squash visible on the plant it was not what I was used to. The effort was rewarded as under the soil was a collection of red potatoes! Like digging up a teasure! I was given an "atta boy" that the last of eight children was always proud of his grandfather's approval. We dug up the rest which filled an entire wheel barrow. I will be planting our next crop tomorrow as I do every year and will be thinking of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment