Friday, February 4, 2011

Planning for Plantings


In the midst of a MISERABLE winter, I take solice in not some rodent searching for his shadow, but the arrival and studying of the many garden seed and plant catalogs that are showing up in my mailbox. I have plans for planting some 1500 potato sets around March 15. I have placed an order for 20 pounds of seed potatoes for delivery
on the 1st of March. The varieties I ordered include Purple Haze, Purple Fingerling, French Fingerling, Red Pontiac, and Yellow Finn. Potatoes are some of the easiest vegetables to take care of and was the plant that I became hooked on gardening. My grandfather told me at the age of 5 to "Dig here." It was like a treasure chest found! I will look forward for a few consecutive dry days in mid March, then cut the seed potato into cubes(+/-3" sq) that include a minimum of 2-3 eyes per set. I will then place the sets in bags, add powdered sulfer to seal the new cuts for overnight and will plant in my prepared soil the next morning. Within 90-110 days, I should be filling a wheelbarrow like this!

No comments:

Post a Comment