Thursday, April 7, 2011

Figs


Our figs have begun leafing out. This means our winter wasn't too bad. We have 7 plants, 4 of which are, as far as I know, 1870's old. Of these, 3 are provide brown fruit and one white. We planted 3 more last year, 2 Celeste(white) and one "LSU Purple", which those cajuns seem mighty proud of that purple.

Figs have an interesting characteristic as they do not produce flowers. They set what is called a False Fruit(see top picture). This fruit is out now and will not ever form into edible fruit. It's sole purpose is to produce a fluid that attracts ants to the tree. The ants will step in the fluid and leave footprints with the sticky substance up and down the tree. This pollinates the tree and will produce fruit in Aug/Sept when it is HOT HOT. God is an interesting designer. So, if you have ants nears your fig tree, DON'T kill them! One of the few times you want ants around!

2 comments:

  1. I never knew fig trees were so smart. All I know is my mom and I look forward to Oakton figs every summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever figs come up I think of how Gran loved them, and how your parents always made sure she had some. This is Sally Sams,I can't make this thing post under my name.

    ReplyDelete